Let's just call it Cabin Fever.

Alright, first of all, let me say that I tend to have an overactive imagination. It's usually quite fun, and helped me through many boring teachers all the way up through college. But sometimes, it's just annoying really. Like in the middle of the night. I've gotten spooked in almost every house I've lived in or stayed at. Really any place I've had to spend the night, ever. Nothing weird has actually happened to me, I think I just keep waiting for something to happen.
The root of these fears are movies typically. I'll be doing fine, getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, and then I'll think "Wow, I'm not even scared." Mostly because the thought hadn't crossed my mind yet. So immediately my mind starts racing through all of the scary movies that involve bathrooms. So, what usually starts out as a half asleep trip to the bathroom ends up with me sprinting down the hall and diving into bed. Yes, I'm 24 years old and I'm still basically afraid of the dark.
Anyway, to get to the point of today's blog, I've never really been scared in this house at all. It's really pretty amazing, I can get up in the middle of the night, and come back to bed in a complete adult manner. I can even take a bath at night without having to leave the door open (it took me years after watching The Shining to be able to take a bath ever with the door closed, of course I was like 6 when I saw the bathroom scene). Last night, I woke up to my son rocking in bed. If he can't sleep, he rocks, and all we can hear until he falls asleep is "thump thump thump." So last night, I was lying in bed listening to the thumping, and I kept hearing something else. I listened to it for quite awhile, passing it off as dogs howling or pigeons cooing or the wind howling. Every time I'd stop listening so I could fall back asleep, it would come back much louder. I finally woke Josh up, just so I'd have proof that I wasn't hearing things, and he heard it too. It was really creepy, like, sound effects in a scary movie creepy. I'm sure it was the wind or something else explainable, but it's definitely not something that's going to keep my imagination at bay when I'm half asleep.
Also, a couple of other small things have happened. I know it's all stupid explainable stuff..but when I'm awake thinking in the middle of the night, little things can get to me. Like, a few weeks ago, I heard someone banging on the front door. I checked to see who it was, and nobody was there. Jayden must have heard it too, because he kept saying "ooh! ooh!" and pointing at the door. Maybe it was just our infamous Door Ghost :) Yesterday Jayden and I were in the living room having snack time, and I heard a man's voice come from the family room/kitchen area. Once again, Jayden started pointing and saying "Oh!" so I knew I wasn't imagining it. BUT, it did sound like it came over a speaker and I think there is construction going on somewhere in they neighborhood because we keep getting the thump/rattle effect in our house, so it was probably just our monitor picking up on someones frequency.
And after all of that (which wasn't much, I know), I'm still not creeped out in this house. Yeah, it may not be much to you, but for me, it's something. And that's all.

4 Response to "Let's just call it Cabin Fever."

  1. Chris Says:

    Creepy. Normally I would be all, Pshaw! but some odd things have been happening over at our house recently too.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Okay I'm glad I'm not the only one who has middle of the night crazy spells! That's a relief! Oh thanks for the ADORABLE Valentine!

  3. Anonymous Says:

    Oh man - creepy, Chelsea! But, I love a good spooky story! Living in an old house, too, any small, unusual noise I hear (especially when they're away) immediately reminds me of all those ghost stories they have on TV. And Margarita swears that the Luth's house (her employers; also an old house) is haunted.

    And I can't tell you how many times Jonathan's monitor would pick up other frequencies. Most of it would last just a couple of seconds but once I can remember listening clearly to a baby babbling away on it, all the while knowing it wasn't Jonathan, simply because I had checked on him about 10 times by that point. The odd thing is that at the time none of the houses in the immediate area (houses surrounding our house) had babies in them. It can be so creepy at first.

  4. Unknown Says:

    Jenny- It's better than Heather and Scott's house. Scott would hear "Daaaaaaaddy, daaaaaaaady" over the intercom when Ethan wasn't anywhere near his monitor. Plus about a gazilion other creapy things that happens in the house, usually dealing with Ethan talking about the man in the attic, the ghosts in the shadows, and other stuff thats way too creapy for a 4 year old to be talking about!